Friday, August 29, 2008

Dear Mrs. Anybody...

A letter for Benny, but not to you.

Have you ever walked past someone and thought 'Well, at least I'm not as bad off as such-and such?'

I am more than sure that you have and that you know what I mean, For I am a woman and so are you and we two are not as different as you would make us out to be for that reason alone.

Say, perchance, you have an encounter at a grocery store. After you retrieve your bruised artichoke heart from the produce floor because some one was in such a rush they narrowly missed you in their search for the perfect beet, you think,

'At least I'm not as rude and inconsiderate as she is.'

You slam on the brake in the middle of a busy intersection while the rain beats out a rhythm on the hood of you civic because some jerk ran a red light and you think,

'At least I am a more cautious driver than that guy.'

You feel uncomfortable in your 'skinny jeans' after a weekend off the diet and you proceed to eye up Jennifer in your office that just can't seem to shake the baby weight and think,

'At least I'm more attractive than that.'

It's okay, I've done it too. Just today, as a matter of fact,

I saw a picture of your tentative wedding dress and read the invitation with the hearts and dove and flowers. I saw your registry for dishes and sheets and baby clothes. I skimmed a blog entry where you gush about the new adventure you are headed on with your never ending love in tote, and I thought,

'At least I'm not about to be Mrs. DR'

Good luck.

Really.

You'll need it.


Signed Mrs. Nobody Special, Who is in love with Mr. Young John, Esq.

2 comments:

katy said...

You are brilliant.

I mean it.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to seeing you weekly again.

Sincerely,

Piano Lady
aka Katyfornia

Ami said...

Oh, how I have been here. And how I wish I was as lucky as Katyfornia to be able to see you weekly.

Thanks for commenting on my Baby Train post. Good to know I'm not the only freak out there. Yes, there have been weepy phone calls in my past (and present). Having a steady guy doesn't guarantee a 32 year old a baby, after all. But at least I'm not Jane who has three babies and a man who just left her for another. Right?