Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I just finished visiting Thornfield Hall and The Morr House with my dearest and most faithful friend, Jane Eyre. I love reading classic novels. Everytime I read Jane Eyre, I can see Mr. Rochester, I can smell the sulphur from the burned down ruins of the great Thronfield Hall, I can feel the pangs of hunger when Jane wanders around England Moorlands for three days with no food, I collapse with exhaustion with her in front of St. Johns house, I watch Helen Burns slip peacefully away in my arms. Classic novels draw me in. They don't just thell me a story, they make me Jane. They make me the prisoner in "the Penetentury." They make me the unnerving beauty to The Great Gatsby. They change the way I see Mr. Darcy. Classic novels to me are movies of the mind, not just words on a page.

Just thought I would chare that with you. If you've never felt this way about a book here are some great books to get lost in:

The Horse and His Boy, A novel in The Chronicles Of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Penetentury, A Short story by Franz Kafka
The Little Prince, A novella by Antione De Saint Exupery
Jane Eyre, A Novel by Charlotte Bronte (Currer Bell)
Don Quixote, A novel by Miguel De Cervantes

No comments: