Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fleeting Dreamtime Made-up Memories.

I saw you last night, or more likely this morning, at 4:16 am, just before I noticed it was too hot to sleep. You were slender and slight and owned an antique shop for fun.

Your hand was outstretched and from it, your daughter took $1,000 cash and a $1,000 prepaid credit card to buy herself new bras and to take me and her aunt out to dinner. You couldn't possibly come, you were too busy.

I gasped when you said how much money but what do I know, maybe it was her birthday. She was so pretty. She flipped her head, full of thick blonde hair and smiled as she put on her sunglasses and blew me a kiss. She was on her cellphone and giggling away while putting the credit card and money in her purse. Meet her at the restaurant at 9:30.

You asked was I surprised? What else would you give your only-- well, one of your daughters. I said a thousand dollars could alter my lifestyle greatly. You laughed and said so little, such a small lifestyle. Not to me. Books, tuition, uniforms, car, house, they all cost enough.

A thousand could pay the bills for a month, and what I work for could help me get ahead.

You said, again with a laugh, work for me, one day a week, a thousand a day.

A thousand a day? Why only one day a week?

As if any child of mine could focus on anything for more than an hour, let alone more than a day. We'll start with one day at one thousand and work from there, my little late bloomer.

Guarantee me $1,000 a day for as many days a week as I can work and you have a deal. A deal? is this a business transaction or my father? Or one with the other?

Ok, Ok, deal. Still, a small life.

No comments: