Monday, May 09, 2011

Writing for Writing's Sake

Sake? What does Japanese rice wine have to do with it all?

This is literally an entry to tell you that I should write more often. Or to tell me that I should write more often. I am not really sure. Here is a quick view of how I feel, and if I am so inclined I will expand later. More likely than not though, I will forget about you again until I feel compelled by some inner weighty guilt to give you another quick debriefing with more empty promises.

The Boy's Sister was recently married. Actually, recently engaged and recently married. I actually will not be getting to in-depth here about this because I generally like Her and the nice young man she married, but it was all around an interesting marriage. I have the following feelings: She is so young and she knows him so little and I don't want her to make the same mistakes I did and there is ever so small a jealous beast beneath my serene exterior, et. al. Expressing any/ all of these makes me feel


  • That I sound like my mother

  • Like a jealous beast. Not a small one, a real, life-sized one.

  • Like I am meddling. Which I have never had a real problem with before, but whatever.

School is... trying? No, I am trying, school is winning. I am exhausted, grumpy, and have a flat affect towards everything not school related. I am a solely goal oriented troglodyte, not hunting berries or boar, but hunting a C average and interested only in facts, numbers, and medical terms.


That isn't totally true. I have found time this semester to finish a book I knew I was going to love before I even started: Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. It was an inspiring novel about the differences among the class systems in 1860 England. It gave a very clear view of the Northern rural England and the Industrial South through the eyes of our heroine, Margaret Hale, who goes through such a transformation as is not warranted in modern literature. Gaskell created a credible and endearing heroine while choosing carefully to not promote the North or the South, but rather allowing the reader to choose for himself.


Home ownership is not for the weary. There is a reason they cost so much: To convince you not to buy one because they cost so much time, resources and sanity. I love our home, I just wish this were pioneer days and we could have built our own little log cabin and had gas lamps. Fooey on modern innovations. Who asked for you any how, running water and light fixtures? Who indeed.


Wedding planning is in the same vein. I won't repeat it, I will write a whole separate article about it later. But beware. I will whine. That is all I have the energy for. I think.


More later, if I remember. I really do want to try to please you and to keep you coming back, ye few.

No comments: