Thursday, May 29, 2008

The nothing that was something to someone who wants nothing out of everything.

The Boy and I had a "Nothing" argument the other night.

A "Nothing" argument can look like one of two things:
- One party (usually the one in the worng) asks "What's wrong?" only to be snipped at,--"Nothing"

-Or, a "Nothing" argument can be much more subversive. It can be a dissagreement that ruminates for days and grows and billows and then you're unhappy about their shoe choice, the way they hold the door for you, the fact that they are 3 minutes late for everything- the nothing things that are covering up the something that you're really mad about.

Thankfully, it was the former type of "nothing" argument. He said something, then said nothing, then I secretly was annoyed and, for the first time ever, practically tied his shoes for him to get him out the door faster.

What was wrong? Nothing. I was tired and grumpy and didn't want him to leave and felt icky from walking 18 miles around DC. He said something that annoyed me and instead of saying "Excuse me, Boy, would you mind explaining yourself in a manner that will not frustrate and annoy me?" I said- Nothing-.

So why am I sharing this with you?

Well, A.) Sharing is caring. In addition to that, I thought about somehting very profound after all of this.

If someone is just a someone to whom you relate and enjoy and talk with and stay out late with, if they are not YOUR someone, in addition to not being anyone ELSE's someone, but they are just who they are around you and you delight in them, can you fight with them?

Can you truly call a "Nothing" argument between two people who essentially represent a great calm nothingness to one another a disagreement? Likewise, can you feel anger towards this No one for Nothing?

More importantly, is The Boy a "Nothing" person?

How much longer can I lose sleep driving around town in a sport red metallic beauty of an automobile while discussing Frank Sinatra and other life changing things with the windows half down and the night turning into morning, not wanting to ever be kicked out and continue the charade of "nothing?" And does it matter? Does the Boy want to be a someone- a someone very attached to this someone, who really isn't anyone important?

Do I really want him to be a nothing? The more I think and talk and experience and want and find with him and about him and around him, the more I really think I feel something for him. A nice something. A quiet something. An important something.

But I want to call it nothing just in case he doesn't want it. Or in case he thinks it's nothing important or nice or safe or fun or warm.

I think I will hold out a little longer and settle to just be a Lady in like with a Boy who is nothing and everything in this moment and a few others.

1 comment:

Lori said...

So if you are not already, you should totally be an english lit major honey! You NEED to be a writer. I would totally buy your books!! Love ya and miss ya.