Thursday, May 08, 2008

THURSDAY THIRTEENNNNNNNNNNN

Yeah. Love songs. Fun

1. When I Fall in Love

I specifically prefer the Celine Dion version, but I learned (just now, actually) that Doris Day made the first recording in 1952. It's just such a powerful song with classic lyrics that makes me cry EVERYTIME.

"In a restless world like this is
Love is ended before its begun
And too many moonlight kisses
Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun."


2. More Than Words

I just like the message. Because words are just what you make of them- but a kiss, a hug, a long night spent under the stars- mean so much more now than just a simple "I love you"

"What would you say if I took those words away
Then you couldnt make things new
Just by saying I love you"


3. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

I think if I ever get married agin this will be my wedding song. Listen to it next chance you get, really listen to it.

"When I come home yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who comes back home to you
And if I grow old well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's growing old with you"


4. Nothing Compares 2 U

The best way to describe this song is haunting, and it is. It appears in most of my dreams. Who doesn't love this love classic?

"It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling
Tell me baby where did I go wrong"


5. Carrying Your Love With Me

This song is just the perfect representation of true love. It's 500 miles gone country. And who doesn't love George Straits sincerity and calm vocals?

"Its my strength for holding on
Every minute that I have to be gone
Ill have everything Ill ever need
Im carrying your love with me"


6. Must Be Doing Something Right

It's country hour here at Thursday Thirteen and at number 6 on your home town love town countdown is Billy Currington's Must be doing something right. With it's smooth hook and Billy's gravely crooner voice (a throw back to classical Gary Allen- gush) I melt into the nearest Manly Man undubitably. (Plus, here's bonus, it's all about S-E-X.... shhh)

"Sometimes all it takes to please her
Is the touch of your hand
And other times you gotta take it slow
And hold her all night long
Heaven knows there's so many ways
A man can go wrong"


7. Nothing On But the Radio

Could i mention Gary Allan smooth sultry gravely drawl without including him on my list of all time love making tracks? You must be kidding.

"We'll fall asleep here in the moonlight
In tangled sheets, we'll be here all night
And when we wake up in the morning
We might stay like this all day
Two people meant to be together
Two lovers dreaming of forever
And it just keeps on getting better
With every tender little kiss"


8. Every (Du)Rose has It's Thorn

Thank you, Tormey. Thats all I have to say about this one.

"I know I could have saved a love that night
If Id known what to say
Instead of makin love
We both made our separate ways"


9. Signed, Sealed Delivered I'm Yours.

This song is actually what inspired this list. It just always makes me smile and sing and wish for things.

"You set my soul on fire
That's why I know you're my heart's only desire

Here I am baby
Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm yours"


10. Fever

I don't know why. I think I am frightened everytime the artists sings the title word... I was intimidated into putting this one on here. Forceable song.

But seriously it is a monster good love song, by jove.

"Sun lights up the day time
moon lights up the night
I light up when you call my name
and you know i'm gonna treat you right

You give me fever"


11. Unchained Melody

I, lik 98% of women and gay men am a sucker for this song. I can't even make an excuse for it. It just is.

"Lonely rivers flow to the sea, to the sea
To the open arms of the sea
Lonely rivers sigh, 'Wait for me, wait for me'
'I'll be coming home, wait for me!'"


12. Time of my Life

You are probably not familiar with this Mark Shultz number, but I wouldn't stear you wrong. It's a doll. It goes without saying that I hope I find a man who is this true one day. Just check it out. I couldn't find it on Youtube, so I just gave you the whole song:

"He packed his bags when he was just 18
To see a world he thought he'd never seen
But he knew when he met her
That she was the girl
He'd been waiting for

And each night they spent talking on the front porch swing
And like it came straight out of a movie scene
But one night she stepped out as the sun began to set
When she got to the porch she found a letter that read

You're the only girl I'll ever love
And I'd do anything not to give you up
If I could only stop the world
When you're standing by my side
See I'm having the time of my life
Yes, I'm having the time of my life

The months went by it was their wedding day
A church on a hill wedding bells rang away
She looked like a princess
All dressed up in pearls
It was her proudest day

And he stood all alone in a darkened church hallway
He got down on his knees and he started to pray
He thanked the Lord for his family and the perfect bride
But he couldn't hold back what he was feelin' inside
And he said

She's the only girl I'll ever love
And I'd do anything not to give her up
If I could only stop the world
When she's standing by my side
See, I'm having the time of my life
Yes, I'm having the time of my life

Forty years went by and she lived most of God's plan
She stood alone in an attic, wedding dress in her hand
And she held an old letter written so long ago
But she'd never forget it
No matter how old

And as she turned to put the dress away
And pack up the years
He was standing in the doorway
With his eyes full of tears
And he held her

'Cause you're the only girl I'll ever love
And I'd do anything not to give you up
If I could only stop the world
When you're standing by my side
See I'm having the time of my life
Yes, I'm having the time of my life"


13. Gentle On My Mind
Dean Martin brought this Glen Campbell staple to life for me, and it makes me think of The Boy now that his gentle way has found me.

"And it's knowin' I'm not shackled
By forgotten words and bonds
And the ink stains that have dried upon some line"

No comments: